Monday, June 14, 2010

The knee high perspective



There's this amazing thing that happens when children in your sphere discover the process of conveying how they see the world to you. It may be in stories, in song, or in interpretive dance. More likely, though, I find that the advent of digital photography, and its attendant freedom from ordinary monetary cost associated with
usage (until your camera finds itself in pieces or in water) means that more and more children are turning into amateur shutterbugs.

My niece Natalie took possession of my camera over Memorial Weekend, and I utterly forgot to look into what she had done with it. Instead, I continued to take my own photos once I regained possession, and only discovered once I hooked it up to the mothership what an adventure she had gone on. It's fascinating to see what she finds worthy of interest, and from what I can tell, she REALLY loves my dogs. (To be honest, I was well aware of that for any number of reasons.) But in addition to revealing her sweetly obsessive interest in documenting the hijinks of my older dog Yukie, her photos are like a little love letter to those things she adores.* Her sister. The backyard. Her flip flops. The dogs. The ball thrower. The garden. Flowers.


It's a good list. I think we should each have one to remind us of the things that bring us happiness.





*To be fair, there were photos of her mom and me, which I have omitted to save the innocent. Also, her dad was away, or surely he would be represented as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment